Tour of the Church Interior

Features of Interest inside the Church Building

 

Stained Glass Windows Window depicting the Martyrdom of St. Lawrence

On the right hand side in the Sanctuary is an ancient stained-glass window depicting the execution of St. Lawrence on a grid iron in Rome in 258 AD.  It was the discovery of this window that caused the Church to be dedicated to him in 1854.

©Photo Bob Alston 2010

Memorial CrestHolland Family Crest

This colourful crest, located in the North Transept, is the memorial to the Holland family, one of the original benefactors of the Church.

  ©Photo Bob Alston 2010  

 

Minstrel Gallery

At the west end of the Nave is the Minstrel gallery, one of the earliest additions to the interior, where the musicians and choir were located. As there was little light in that part of the Church, a small skylight was made on the north side of the gallery, and named the 'Psalm Singers' window', because it was designed to give the choir enough light to see by.

 

Victorian ExtensionChancel steps leading to Choir stalls and Altar

The two transepts (side rooms) were added in 1872 to cope with the expanding population of Denton, as was the Chancel, Grid Ironhousing the choir pews and organ.  The ornate screen was added only at the beginning of the last century (1926).  ©Photo Bob Alston 2010

Two of the three blue shields fixed to the top of the screen bear the grid iron symbol of St. Lawrence, a symbol to be seen in many places within the church.

List of incumbents

On the left of the screen is the pulpit and the List of Incumbents. Showing all the vicars, rectors, priests-in-charge starting with Sir Roger Ward in 1533.

©Photo Bob Alston 2010

 

  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


Heritage
Webpage icon Tour of the Exterior of the Church